Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The weather has cooled off dramatically and has become the beautiful days of summer that I long for all winter. I was out in it early, and left the house this morning with Jess to make it to work before 8a. It was an easy spin with a bit of a hard effort in the Powerhouse of Vienna. I had some gearing issues after that, but I think it was just in need of some adjusting and I had it straightened out before long.

The ride home was more of the same beautiful weather and I had to laugh when I passed a deer in Vienna just eating away a foot off the trail. It wasn't bothered at all by the horde of cyclists and joggers passing by. I slowed down a bit for fear it'd get spooked and run in to me, but I passed easily.

I continued on the Custis Trail when I got home so I could add a few miles and meet Jess. She wasn't too far away and I turned to ride back with her. She's been putting in quite the workout lately. Last week she rode 100 miles in commuting. That has to be more than some of the Cat 4's and 5's. It's even more than I put in when I'm lazy some weeks. My wife has discipline and it's cool to see. Never mind that it's fueled by hatred for riding the Metro. She loads up her trusty Surly Cross-Check and heads on her way.

No comments: