Thursday, August 10, 2006

The sky did look awfully gray when I rolled out of the house this morning with Jess. She made it in to work just fine, but at about mile seven of my ride, the skies opened up and I got wet. I was too far in to the ride to turn around for home, so I just settled in and actually enjoyed the water a bit. It wasn't the punishing downpours that I've been caught in before, but rather a light but steady rain that did get me pretty wet by the end.

More interesting about this ride was the addition of TT bars to my bike again for the first time ever on the Javelin and the first time really since I was racing duathlons last summer. It felt really good to have them on the bike. It makes for a more comfortable ride--and a faster ride as well. The only problem with this is that I have a very hard time not doing my best Sergui Gonchar impression and pushing the biggest gear I can find for as long as I can stand. In short, I hammer whenever I have TT bars on my bike.

Why the TT bars? Well, I found out there's a 3/4 race at the Tour de Chrstiana, so there's room for me to race. It's likely to be a very very strong field and unlikely I'll get any upgrade points there, but I have to give it a shot.

Coming home, it was sunny skies all around, but more of the same from my legs. I finally made the ride in under and hour door-to-door, averaging 21.1 mph for the journey--a respectable speed considering all the times I have to come to a stop along the way. My legs are now toast. I'm not at all prepped well for this weekend's races.

No comments: