Wednesday, August 23, 2006

In honor of my one year anniversary here at blogger.com, I decided to get my butt in gear and post a flurry of updates. There's about a month of time missing . . . but just be sure to catch some of the highlights.

Wedding and Honeymoon
Tour de Toona
Tour de Christiana
Building of the 'Cross Bike
Williamsport Crit.

As for today . . .
Riding to work today, I came across a downed cyclist at mile 22 of the W&OD. The cyclist, while riding together with his wife, crashed when the bolt which holds his saddle to the seatpost broke. Apparently he'd been descending one of the small hills when it happened and he looked to be in a lot of pain. He was wearing a helmet. He was complaining of back pain and we tried to get him to relax some. 911 was called and they arrived in fairly short order. I met up with Keith Blinn, another Orbital engineer, and we left the scene just before the EMS team made their way down the trail.

It's stuff like this that always makes you think long and hard about the quest for lighter and faster equipment. This guy was riding Spinergy carbon wheels and a nice Cannondale with older Dura Ace componentry. Shouldn't all this cost ensure a little more safety? Well, it at least makes me glad that I'm riding a Thomson seatpost with two bolts rather than the one this guy's post had. The bolts on my post are high strength steel alloy, plated to prevent rust and corrosion. Hopefully that's enough.

I spent a good portion of this ride riding with a guy on a Specialized Tarmac. It kept the pace nice and strong and he turned off just after Reston.

There was no ride home for me today since Jess met me and we went out to dinner and a movie.

1 comment:

Chris said...

congrats on getting married...it's a really cool thing. i speak from experience!

i'm bummed to hear you got a 'cross bike as you'll likely be kicking my butt in the B's. 8-)