Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I barely managed to get out of bed this morning, but Jess and I both left the house about 6:25 and I rode with her along the Custis Trail. I got off the trail at the downhill spiral near Big Wheel Bikes and left her to continue her ride to work. I timed it perfectly and met the group as they turned onto Spout Run. The crew was small and absent any heavy hitters. All the same, this workout still hurt a lot. Joining me in the pain fest that is the HON ride were Peter, Jordan, Ryan, Chris Marrow, Ken Woodrow, and 2 new non-Coppi guys. I could tell instantly that my legs weren't sharp.

The first interval was my usual--I rode hard and gapped the field early. I didn't have the usual speed up the winding road and by the end I was soft-pedaling. I might have had more than I showed, but I wasn't pushed and didn't feel like pushing. The second interval is where I'm usually challenged the longest, but I shook off Peter when the climb started and rode hard from further out than I can remember. The final rise that's usually a sprint against Butts or Tomas was brutal and I tried to put in a good finish.

I'm starting not to fear this third interval as much. It helps when neither James nor Butts is present. But I have beaten each of them in the last few weeks, so I think I can finally do this one well. Today, though, I knew the Muur would kill. I dropped my chain going up the first steep hill but luckily managed to flick it back on with the front derailleur without losing a spot. After that, I was on my own and begging for mercy from the final hill. I put in a nice effort and I was huffing and puffing so hard that I did James proud.

The fourth was more of the first--with an early attack and no answers. That first hill really hurt a lot and I rode the rest of the way seated and in a pretty small gear. The pack was closing as I finished, but I was just trying to get to the top without killing myself.

Not having the spark that I usually have on Wednesday's was disappointing. I think I'm catching up on sleep, but my legs are real tired and I'm feeling a little burned out. I've got to reenergize somehow and get those measley 2 points before I can shut it down for the season. To that end, I registered for 3 crits in the upcoming weekends (Williamsport, Chantilly, and Back-to-School). I got shut out of the Tour de Christiana, so I'll have to learn how to race crits real fast. On an exciting note, the registration for the first Cyclocross race is up on the web. I'm planning to start my campaign with Charm City 'Cross on the 24th of September. Should be a fun day.

No comments: