Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I had to take a day off from work to go with Jess up to Pittsburgh to meet the movers bringing her stuff to the Steel City. More precisely, it's the West Mifflin area, but in any case, I sure wish we could have the place she'll have there for what that rent will be. The drive's about 3.5-4 hours. I'm sure I'll have those roads memorized soon enough.

When we got back this evening, we grabbed the bikes and went out on the trail for a bit. I took the 'cross bike to slow me down a bit. We rode mostly on the W&OD with a few explorations on the Four Mile Run Trail. When we finished up, I spent a few minutes outside behind the apt. working on my dismounts and remounts. I'm already lightyears better than I was at any point last year.

Negatives? Well, I'm not liking it when I hit the tire on my foot in a sharp turn. I moved the cleats forward a bit to match the position of my road shoes, but there's still too much overlap. I'm hoping I get used to it because I almost crashed messing around on a hill tonight because of it.

Probably the bigger concern is the front brake chatter. It's ridiculous. I'm not sure what I can really do about it. If I'm braking going downhill, it's almost not worth using the front brake at all. You can actually see the fork deforming when it chatters. I guess I can setup the front brakes not to have so much mechanical advantage, but then what's the point? I won't have much stopping power. Ideas??

4 comments:

Chris said...

Brakes only slow you down anyway.

joe said...

you probably already have, but double check your headset... bad chatter might mean it's loose.

hold the front brake as hard as you can and rock the bars back and forth while holding your fingers around the interface (between the fork & lower cup and the upper cup & cover) for any play.

John said...

I was hoping that might have something to do with it, but as far as I can tell, it's fine. Certainly, there's no obvious play.

girloffroad said...

I've been happy with Paul's brakes and KoolStop pads. Just make sure rims and pads are clean and no indentations in the rim.