Monday, August 21, 2006

Today was just a typical commute. My legs felt surprisingly good after yesterday's long solo attempt. More than likely the soreness is just delayed, but I took the opportunity to get in some tempo yet again. I wanted to ride the 'cross bike, but I've got a few more things to tidy up before it's ready.

I thought more today about the problems I was having installing the crank. When installing the crank with the carbon guards and single ring, it had no clearance with the chainstays and was rubbing on the frame. Well, chatting with Peter over email today made me realize that I probably had the guards and ring on the crank arm incorrectly. Sure enough, I had installed the ring, spacers and inner guard inside of the spider. I corrected that to put only a guard inside the spider, with the ring, spacers and outer guard on the outside. I tried it as soon as I got home and it worked just fine. I was worried that I would need to get a new bottom bracket to increase the spindle length from 109.5mm to 118.5mm. Fortunately, I ordered the right one and I'm ready to roll once I tape the handlebars.

No comments: