Saturday, August 26, 2006

It's nice to race so close to home and today the race was just in Chantilly. Jess and I made the drive out there real quick. I met up with John Larson and we rode warmup laps on the course. The course was basically a backwards and longer Quicksilver, with smaller rolling hills. For those not familiar with Quicksilver, this course is 'D' shape, with the start/finish on the straight section and the race running down on that section. The start/finish was at the end of a long very subtle rise--enough to make your legs burn, but certainly nothing worthy of being dubbed a "hill." After many laps and a few hard efforts, I was ready to roll and I started from the front row.

On this course, I knew starting at the front wasn't terribly critical and I'd already committed myself to not being aggressive until the final couple laps. I knew this pace would be blistering because of the rolling nature and the immaculate pavement. I was certain that this would be about riding around in circles for a while and then sprinting for the line. Obviously, this is not my kind of race but hey, I still need those points.


The plan was supposed to be most of the Coppis (and there were a few in this race) working for Skubis. He said he had good legs and after Quicksilver, he was the only guy who'd shown any assemblance of a sprint. I'd be on my own, just trying to sneak in for fifth. Well, I'll spare the details of all fifteen laps, but bascially it went like this: I actually made good on my committment not to take a pull and sat mostly in the middle to front of the group. I tried to find the right position for coming out of the final turn, but never really settled on something I liked. A few Coppi's and random other riders took a few pointless flyers off the front and they were all reeled in with ease.


With two laps to go, I started contemplating when to get aggressive, but I was not at all feeling strong. So I spent those final two laps trying to rest until the last possible moment. I was able to get into a good position near the end when Coppi teammate, Eric, took a flier that people actually got a bit worried about. There was no need since we were pretty far from the finish, but the pace picked up anyways. Well, Eric did an incredibly stupid and dangerous thing and sat up right in the middle of the road. That meant the pack was closing on him probably ten mph faster and he was in the way. I'm amazed no one crashed. But I made it around his outside and into good position in the final turn.


I came out of that turn with a chance to make good on my goal and I gave it absolutely everything I could muster. At some point Jose and another rider sprinted away, then another two did the same. That left what was left of the field vying for that fifth spot I so coveted. I wasn't in a great position, but I hammered to see what I could get and started having some hope when I passed several riders. But with probably twenty meters to the line, I had to sit down and pedal. I got passed by three guys, ending up in eighth.


Immediately after I crossed the line, I felt horrible. I'd woke up this morning feeling a bit strange, but nothing too bad. But after I crossed the line, it was pretty obvious--I was sick. After waiting around forever for results, I finally left before they were official and headed home to bed. I slept for four hours and pounded the liquids. Then I woke up and watched the night race at Bristol. I was running a fever and possibly the worst headache I've ever had. But I think this'll blow over in a day or two--it usually does.

Finishing eighth is frustrating since it seems like it's been an eternity since I finished in the points. But really to finish eighth on a course so poorly suited to my strengths isn't all that bad. Perhaps if I hadn't been so under the weather I might've had what it took to sneak in there for fifth or even take a flyer to win. Since Pfeiffer Hill, I've raced five criteriums, two road races, and a time trial. I've finished 7th, 8th, and 11th (twice) but otherwise haven't been a factor. I think my time off is the excuse for Toona, the competition the excuse for Christiana, and the rest are just crits that I haven't quite mastered yet. But I'm still close and staying positive.

Unfortunately, since I'm sick, I won't get to try my hand at ending the wait at the Back-to-School criterium up in Charm City. So I guess I've got only a few more chances this season: Wilmington Crit., two weeks from Sunday, followed by the MABRA RR Championships and Turkey Day Race the following week. Ugh! I'm ready to focus on 'cross.

See all of Jess' pictures here.

No comments: