Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The only thing worse than riding slow when you're tired is riding slow on purpose to get a base. I hate riding slow on a bike, but I was willing to give it a shot this morning. Fortunately, I didn't have to when I passed a guy riding with paniers. He stuck right on my wheel and off we went. It was fun to have someone giving chase--especially when the morning rides these days so rarely have any folks out on the trail.

Then I did something stupid. I'm not sure what I was thinking. Maybe I was too caught up in the chase, but when I came to a busy interstection and stared right at the oncoming cars and didn't stop. Not sure why. I crossed easily and safely enough, but I made some guys hit their brakes and can't blame them for being angry. I screwed up. That left the guy riding behind me at the intersection and I tore off to ride alone. The rest of the ride I focused on keeping the HR nice and low and it worked. I had a good ride after that embarassment.

Coming home, it was more of the same riding with HR in mind. I think the ride home is a bit easier and I was able to hit the same average speed with a 2 bpm decrease from the morning commute. When I hit Wison Blvd. and got in traffic, my competitive spirit took over and I hammered the rest of the way home. I just couldn't help it. There's something about riding 30 mph and trying to hang with cars that gets me every time. That probaby rose the HR a small bit and set my max for the day.

Later in the evening I stopped by Joe Metro's house. He's a teammate with a 53 cm Javelin Brunello tricked out on Campy Record. It was light as a feather and I rode it a bit around the block to see if it fit me. It seems like the 53 will work fine, but I'm not sure if a 55 would be a better fit. Luckily Walter Tyree, another teammate, has a 55 and has offered to let me check his out. Maybe after all that, I'll be able to make a decision and get a road bike.

Dist / Time / Avg / Max / Avg HR / Max HR / Odo
23.4 / 1:22:10 / 17.1 / 28.9 / 160 / 196 / 306
23.3 / 1:21:39 / 17.1 / 30.6 / 158 / 195 / 329

No comments: