Wednesday, January 25, 2006

For the first half of the ride, it was pleasantly warm. I even considered taking off the covering on my ears. But once I hit the Powerhouse at Vienna, it cooled off significantly. It's usually cooler there, but today was remarkable. Just as I was about to think nothing of note would happen on this ride, it started snowing! Granted, it was only wimpy little flurries that melted on impact, but it did snow. I wish the weather would hurry up and warm to where I could ditch the pants, but I think we may be in for a longer stretch of cold weather. Other than the snow, the ride was just your typical spin.

I left just a bit late from work, so most of the ride was in total darkness. But one thing was certain, the wind was up and at my back. It's amazing how little you feel it when it comes from behind you. It's just real quiet and you sail through the air. But I started to notice when I was flying over small rises that I usually stand-n-stomp to get over. I wanted to open up a sail. In some spots I stopped pedaling entirely and was easily coasting faster than I can usually ride. The wind was very strong--thank God it was at my back! I made it home in the fastest time yet, with an average of over 18 mph. It's hard to beat that solo on the Sirrus.

After violin, I drove to Alexandria and met up with Walter Tyree. He lent me his 55 cm Javelin Brunello to try out for a few days. He's really great to let me take it and ride for a while. Hopefully I can come to some consensus about which size I should go with. I stayed up pretty late fiddling with the bike, putting on my pedals, and getting it ready for the morning commute.

Dist / Time / Avg / Max / Avg HR / Max HR / Odo
21.8 / 1:19:50 / 16.4 / 28.8 / 163 / 185 / 351

No comments: