Thursday, January 26, 2006

After staying up late last night getting the Javelin ready to ride, I knew I was going to feel pretty rough when I crawled out of bed. Surprisingly, it wasn't as bad waking up as I expected. I wish I could say that about the ride, however. As soon as I stepped out of the door I wasn't looking forward to the miles ahead of me. The wind was howling and very cold. The online temperature was 28 degrees. Riding to work leaves no room for lack of committment. Once you're ten miles down the road, you're stuck. So I started turning the crank and hoping the winds would subside some.

They didn't. It was quite possibly the most miserable ride I've ever done, probably second only to the first ride I did totally unprepared in the cold a few months ago. It was a perfect headwind. Every flag I saw along the way was pegged taught opposite my direction. My speed ground to a crawl in a lot of places. I was fortunate enough to be riding on a road bike, in a more aero position than normal, but even still, it wasn't enough to duck the winds. After last night being my fastest time ever, today was the slowest ever, clocking in for the first time below 15 mph! I definitely mailed it in with ten miles to go because I was so cold and sick of fighting swirls.

Thor stopped by my office in the morning and we chatted a bit about whether the bike fits or not. It seems to be the consensus that it does and I could probably use a shorter stem. Still, I'm worried about the top tube length and wondering if a 53 cm would be a better fit. Unfortunately, a smaller frame also means lowering the bars, which would likely keep the reach too far.

One thing is for certain, carbon forks are awesome. It felt like I had a subtle front shock. Bumps that I hit all the time and rattle my frame felt like nothing as I rolled over them.

The ride home was fast and fun with the wind at my back. I hit an average speed comparable to a group ride. That was terrific--easily my fastest time home ever.

Dist / Time / Avg / Max
23.1 / 1:32:30 / 14.9 / 26.3
23.2 / 1:14:03 / 18.9 / 32.1

No comments: