Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The ride in this morning was long and cold. I had to make it in time for the launch rehersal for Telkom-2, so I left the house at 5:50a. Even with the time change, it was dark at that hour and I was barely awake.

I was using my old Mechanix gloves for the first time, and they didn't work out so well. The cold cut right through them, which I guess is no surprise since they're made to breathe. My legs felt ok early, but I spent the energy quick and the ride started to get longer than I wanted it to be. By the time I got to work, I was cold and tired and happy to be done.

The rehersal ran all day and into the night. It was 8:30p by the time I was ready to head home. Instead of interrupting Gilmore Girls, I opted to ride in the dark. My only real concern with riding in the dark are the deer on the trail. Since I see some every morning (a buck this morning) getting hit would not be cool. But I set my iPod playing and whistled most of the way home. I used my light intermittedly since it's nearly out of batteries and doesn't help much anyways. I was surprised to pass five cyclists and a few walkers. All in all, it's not too dangerous.

The strange thing was that, to my knowledge, it's against the law to be on the W&OD after dark. But just past Vienna, I passed a cop car ON the trail! He didn't say anything and we both just kept on our ways.

But I'm now officially an outlaw in another way. As I was coming down Wilson and nearly home, I was absolutely hauling. I was giving everything I had for a finishing sprint and I flew past a cop car. Haha. Well, as I was going into the front of the apartment, the cop yelled to me:

"Hey, don't you know you have to follow the same rules as cars?"
I said, "I didn't break any laws."
"Yes you did. Passing on the right? Ever hear of that?"
"You were going slower, I'm on a bike."
"I can give you a ticket and we'll settle this in front of a judge."
"No, thanks for letting me know."

His threatening a ticket took the sass out of me, but I almost wish I'd gotten the ticket. That would have been a badge of pride--something to frame on my wall. I say if I can pass your sorry butt in a car, that's allowed. And any righteous punks out there waiting to add to the cops reprimand, just shut up. That was a rush and I made it home safe and sound.

Now for a chicken pot pie and some sleep! Maybe cyclocross practice in the morning??

No comments: