Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I was able to make it to the park this morning for some 'cross practice. This was a pretty easy going ride. We only rode three or four loops and we didn't have barriers. I'll have to bring out mine next week. It was the usual crew of Peter, Ryan, and Scott, with Brad pulling up late just before I had to leave.

I feel pretty strong right now. I'm recovered nicely from the weekend and I'm chomping at the bit to race again. Unfortunately, I've got to wait two weeks. I'll be putting the road tires back on for a bit just to keep things nice and easy until then. Maybe I'll go for a run just to shake things up some.

I've got a few easy technical things I'll need to iron out over the next few weeks. My new shoes are awesome for just about everything except getting clipped in fast. Their hard plastic bottoms make it easy to slip off my pedals. The protrusions for clearing mud also make it harder to find the cleat. I think practicing starts will help iron that out. I can't allow another poor start to set a limit on my final place. Another thing I need to do is eliminate the stutter step from my remount--it kills momentum.

4 comments:

Chris said...

no, don't eliminate the stutter step. you don't need to get any faster. 8-)

which pedals & shoes are you using?

John said...

I'm using the Sidi MTB Bullet 2 which are way better than the Shimano's I was using.

My pedals are the terrific "bang for your buck" Nashbar Clipless ATB Pedals. But I plan on switching to the Candy SL's next season.

Chris said...

yeah, dump the old pedals.
you can grab candy's for ~60ish on ebay.

Anonymous said...

John,
Pedals - Time ATAC. You'll thank me.

Stutter step - I had this last year and I got rid of it this year by doing two things and then practicing the hell out of it:

1) run faster before mounting instead of mounting as soon as you can. This forces you into item 2

2) LEAP! That's right, leap onto the bike. Commit to that final step and just launch yourself. If you're going fast enough, you'll have no choice. If you try to stutter step at speed, be ready to eat dirt.

Try this. I've been smoking the barriers this year by using these items, lots of practicing at home and, of course, my ATACs. They are sooooo easy to get into. Like stabbing your foot into a slipper.

Thor