Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I was finally able to get some good sleep last night and I felt much better when I got up. I drove down to Bluemont Park to meet the boys of Squadra Coppi for cyclocross practice. I was the first one there and I rode around a bit on my own before Peter Nicoll showed up. I had just about finished riding a warm-up lap with him when I realized after a quick downhill that the key I was storing inside my glove was no longer there! Craaaap. I had put the car key only in my glove and left the rest of the keys in the car. I had no cell phone and no way to get back into my apartment to get another car key. So I started retracing the loop hoping I'd find the key.

It was a bit ridiculous to look for the key because the loop we ride is large and varied enough that it was like finding a needle in a haystack. Ryan Newill and Brad Evans showed up by that time and I kept looking while they started riding laps. I borrowed Ryan's phone and left a message on Jess' voicemail. Then I went back to looking for just a little while longer before I'd have to ride home and spend the rest of the morning sorting everything out.

But no! I found the key! I was extremely lucky that it'd fallen out in the grass and there it was. Whew. Disaster avoided. I left the key in a backpack and got back to doing what it was I'd come for: riding. Basically we just rode loops together. I knew the course a lot better than I have the other two times I've ridden it, so it was more natural. I felt pretty good.

After decent number of laps, we decided to work on starts a bit. We lined up along one of the lines for the soccer fields and raced out to a baseball field, around the backstop and back in. I was able to "win" two of them and was right on the leader's heels on the third. I did have the inside track, but I think my starts are good enough. For me it's the rest of the first lap and the next few where I think I have the most trouble. I have a tendancy to want to settle in too quickly. To be good at cross I don't think I can really do much settling ever.

I'm planning on taking the rest of the week of from any lengthy or fast paced riding. I ate well (pasta) both last night and tonight and I'm determined to keep getting good sleep. Hopefully that'll help me start feeling better and I'll race better than I did last Sunday. I already felt a lot better today but my legs are still feeling a bit tired. I'm racing Saturday and Sunday for the first time and I want to do well in both. Top tens will be my goal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are you racing this weekend?

John said...

Evolution Cross at Ida Lee Park in Leesburg, VA (Saturday) and Race Pace Cross in Sykesville, MD (Sunday).

Anonymous said...

Get a chain and hang your key around your neck. Violin practice?jb