Thursday, November 03, 2005

I didn't feel like putting 50 miles on my legs today, but I needed to spend some time on the bike after taking yesterday off.  I can always use work on my technical skills.  I drove down to Bluemont Park where I was hoping to meet up for cyclocross practice yesterday (I enjoyed my extra hour of sleep instead).  I rode around the makeshift course a bit and practiced turns.  I rode figure eights around two trashcans about 50 meters apart and practiced the run up and remount a bit.  I should have brought out my barriers and given them a try.

Riding a bit on the baseball field was a mistake.  It added sand to the already nasty mix of wet grass in my drivetrain.  I'll have to clean everything up tonight  for the race this weekend.  I'm racing in Burlington, NC in the third race of the North Carolina Cyclocross Series, and I'm interested to see what another series is like.  Racing MABRA and MAC series races gives me high expectations.  It should be nice racing in front of family.

I've been trying to learn to pop a wheelie a bit lately and I did a fine job this morning.  I'm getting more and more comfortable on the bike in general.  The key to wheelies is obvious I guess.  You have to keep your weight as far back as possible.  I was determined to keep trying wheelies until I found my limit and this morning on the wet grass, I found it.  My back tire slipped and I flipped the bike backwards landing hard on my butt.  I was lucky no one saw it, but it should leave a nice bruise.  Once I get wheelies under control, I guess the next logical step is hopping things like . . . cyclocross planks?  I think it's safe to say, however, that I'm a long way from pulling off that feat.

No comments: