Thursday, November 17, 2005

Tonight I blurred the line between hardcore and stupidity more than ever before. I had to go in to work to support an Earth update maneuver and I didn't leave till 10:18p. By that time the temperature had dropped dramatically. I was as well prepared as I could be with what I have, but I quickly found out that wasn't enough.

I have my road tires back on the Sirrus for the first time since taking up cyclocross and it was amazing to remember the acceleration they bring. I was motoring along at a great clip with the iPod blaring. At first, only my knees were cold. I didn't have anything covering them and the constant wind was pretty chilly. But really, knees weren't that big a concern.

The problems started about eight miles in when the tips of my fingers started to feel the wind through the gloves. My yellow gardening gloves are thicker than most, but I realized soon enough that they weren't cutting it. They've performed adequately in the mornings to work, but this was a different level of cold.

As I was coming down the short hill just before the Powerhouse section, I had to stop quickly to avoid two deer standing on the trail. I had to yell at them to get them to run away and after that I decided to keep the iPod off so I could hear any other deer that might get in my way.

My hands got colder and colder and I had stop three times to ball my fists up under my armpits to get them warm. That would work for a few miles each time, but after those stops I really couldn't keep very warm. My knees were still very cold and surprisingly my feet were starting to get cold despite my wearing the neoprene booties for the first time.

I stopped just before Falls Church and gave Jess a call to meet me at Bluemont Park. That's only ten minutes more to the house, but as cold as I was, I needed the ride to get shorter. I was able to make it there and she picked me up to drive me home. I turned on the heat for the first time and got warm as quick as I could.

Things I learned from tonight: It's freakin' cold without the sun! I need to cover my knees and arms with some kind of warmer. And I also need gloves that are wind proof. I think the booties work wonderfully and with thicker socks I won't have any problem there. It's a shame tonight was so bad because I actaully felt great otherwise and I was flying on the road tires.

No comments: