Monday, September 05, 2005

This weekend in Florida was a good break from the routine of 38K biking a day. I left the bike in the Dulles parking lot and headed South to warmer weather and higher gas prices.

On Saturday, I ran six and did a bit of swimming in the lake. I ran four before swimming and two after. I definitely have a long way to go if I'm going to make myself into a triathlete. But I am starting to believe it is possible. As for the running itself, it felt terrific. I'm really out of running shape and four miles seems a lot longer than it should, but I'm enjoying it. With new shoes and pop a plenty, it's hard not to love this stuff.

On Sunday, I went out in the early evening really only planning to get in four or so. I couldn't help but run my usual eight mile loop to Lake Brantley HS. I had to walk a bit in just a few spots to keep from really killing my legs. I did get through the loop without too much trouble and felt proud to put in my longest post-collegiate run to date. It's tough to get in much of a base this way, but I I'll have to take what I can get.

After we got back to Arlington, I went for a run just before supper. I ended up accidentally breaking the rules and running through the cemetery. I actually saw quite a bit of the place and the scenery was truly amazing as the sun was setting. But one of the park police eventually let me know that "jogging" isn't allowed. I'd figured as much when I went in, but didn't see any signs. And though I wanted to inform him I was running, not jogging, I thought better of it and respectfully looked for a way out. When I went to leave, however, I found the sign I'd missed! Oddly enough the gate I came in was locked, so I had to jump the fence to get out. I did manage to see the graves of William Howard Taft, RFK, and almost JFK before I was found out. I guess Justice Rehnquist will soon be amongst the graves. This run was a hard four. I did a lot of hills around the cemetery and kept the pace strong. I felt quite well today once I got out on the roads. Tomorrow it's back to the grind at work and on the bike.

In the maintenance department, I installed new toe straps as my old ones were nearly frayed in two. I also permanently patched my back tire and picked up a few extra tubes. Jess bought some paint at Lowes and I availed myself of the opportunity to get some shop towels and a gallon of Simple Green for cleaning my bike.

Sorry for the lack of photos, I'll try to get back in my daily posting routine this week. Glad to see Schmeck took care of business on Saturday. Unfortunately his performance was yet again not enough to carry the team.

4 Miles / 8 Miles / 6 Miles

No comments: