Thursday, September 15, 2005

I was dreading the ride in on the Waterford after last evening's painful ride. I hoped that it would feel better and perhaps I could get used to it--I can't. As a result, I rode mostly slow and as far out of the aero position as I could get. I was ok doing that until I got passed by one of the guys I'd seen on the trail last night. He did it right as the powerhouse stretch was starting and I just couldn't stand for that. Because I was so uncomfortable, I just drafted off of him for most of it, but I couldn't resist blowing by on the final straightaway before the short steep hill. That got rid of him and I was back to riding alone and being mad about how uncomfortable I was. I got passed by another rider near Orbital and just stayed with him until the final light. He was admiring the frame and I told him all about how it wasn't fit for me. I was very happy to again not have a bike computer. When I went to shower, things got even better! I realized I'd left all my credit cards and ID at home, then I had to go back to my office for my razor, then I forgot my towel! The morning was not at all kind to me.

I still haven't decided whether I want to race in Delaware this weekend. Jess wants to stay home and in some ways I do too. Added to that fact is that I could spend some time running and relaxing rather than putting myself through another race. I'm not sleeping nearly enough to be training well and I haven't run (except for the race) in quite a while. Six hours of sleep and three hours of biking doesn't make a good combination. I think a 10p bedtime and 6a wakeup would do wonders. But there's never enough time in the day to do all that I want to do--namely write about the race this past weekend! At least the results are online.

It was great to be back on a familiar saddle turning that same old gear. And for some reason, I felt the need for speed. I tried to spend the bulk of my time on the third chain ring, and I really only used the middle for the long slightly uphill stretch going into Vienna. Otherwise, I was turning the large one and feeling pretty good about it.

It remains very humid and tonight I was riding to Bible Study rather than going home. That's the reason for the longer ride. I took the Custis Trail to Quincy St. to Military Rd. The final road had some sweet hills. I hit that max of 59.0 turning the huge gear going down one of those hills. So far that's the fastest I've ever recorded. What a thrill it was! But going up the other side of it was not. I used the smallest chain ring and was hurting even then. Jess met me with clean clothes and I showered before eating supper there.

I can't say enough about how much better it feels to be back on my noble steed. I'm soo much more comfortable even though I'm realizing how poorly set up my bike is to ride in a triathlon position. The seat tube angle is laid back for comfort wheaeas tri bikes can get very steep. and put the rear wheel right underneath you. The Waterford did that, but also put the handlebars too far out of my reach.

Dist / Time / Avg / Max / Odo
38 km on the Waterford
39.74 / 1.13.25 / 32.5 / 59.0 / 1710.1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go with your first Duathlon win. It's amazing how big of a bike geek you've become. You need to start running a little more so I can understand what you're writing about in this log.

John said...

Yes, I've got the bug--just not the wallet to go with it just yet. And you're right about the running if for no other reason than I should be able to run 17:00 for 5K and not feel like crap.