Tuesday, September 06, 2005

After three days of no biking, my legs were a bit sluggish on the ride in this morning. That kept my average below 30 kmph but that's fine by me on a morning ride. I did have to replace my back tube even after patching it last night. The slow leak remains, so I'm assuming it's a problem with the valve.

The ride home was better than the ride in, but the wind was the strongest I've felt since I got here. It gets me pretty angry when I see my speed drop below 30 on a stretch I usually hammer. But I did all right. At one point a guy was drafting off me, so of course I had to drop him like a bad habit. Other than that, I didn't push too hard.

When I got home, I changed into my running gear and went for a good five mile run. I ran across Memorial Bridge to behind the Lincoln Memorial before turning around and heading back past Arlington Cemetery. I didn't break any rules tonight. I continue to feel strong running. I'm by no means in great shape, but I'm slowly starting to feel comfortable at longer distances. Due to time constraints, I don't know how many more runs I'll be able to get in this week. But with a race on Saturday, I probably shouldn't be running anyways. I assume Pat will give me a respite from the bet on Friday. Maybe I'll try some running before work. Who knows?

One of these days soon, I feel like I should establish some sort of training schedule. Something to really put some planning into what my goals are both long and short term. I think the Virginia Duathlon will be the long term goal. Other than that I think just gaining some experience and racing every couple of weeks is a good plan. I assume I'll give Alumni a go in January. A heartrate monitor would be a nice aid for training. But with all the money being dropped on bike equipment, I think that'll get lost in the mix. Comments anyone? Haha.

Dist / Time / Avg / Max / Odo
37.84 / 1.17.45 / 29.2 / 47.7 / 1343.1
38.09 / 1.14.33 / 30.6 / 47.8 / 1381.4
5 Miles

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alumni, YES!

Now that your partner Fivos is moving up to the 5k you could do some damage in the mile, man. Assuming Leif Seed doesn't show up again.

shmk

Anonymous said...

How's the traning going John?
Just wanted to let you there's a new web site for the Virginia Duathlon - http://virginiaduathlon.kalerunning.com as per Sunday's post: http://www.cymru66.com/?p=59

Good luck!

Steve