Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I got up early this morning in hopes of running a few miles after my ride to work. But my plans went awry when I got a flat just before the hill at Hwy. 66. Something poked the tube through the large gash in my back tire. That's a gash that's been there from riding around Boston last summer. I decided I'd try to use a dollar bill as a tire liner, so I folded one up and stuck in between the tube and the tire. I guess I've taken to throwing money at the problem. I patched the small pin hole in the tube and rode the rest of the way to work. Too bad my iPod ran out of power just as I finished patching the tube.


Gash in my tire Posted by Picasa

It's starting to get darker and darker each morning when I wake up. And with that added darkness comes cool weather. It was down right chilly this morning and I could feel the wind cutting through my jersey. I think I'll have to buy a long sleeve jersey fairly soon and maybe tights if things get colder. My legs still feel sluggish from the time off, but I rode 30 kmph, so I think that's fine for a morning ride in.

The wind continues to annoy me on the way home, but I managed to ride pretty quick this evening. I did leave work late, so there were a lot of folks out on the trail. Before the Wilson Blvd. hill, I was at an average of 32.4 kmph.

My new tires should be here tomorrow. I decided to order them from BikeNashbar again. I was quite pleased with their service on my wheelset and brake pads. I'm approaching 1500 km rapidly . . . only 3500 to go before I start looking for a new bike.


Rubbing on left crank arm. Posted by Picasa

I should mention that my left shoe has developed this annoying habit of rubbing on the crank. It makes an audible squeak everytime I spin if I don't push my foot to the outside of the clips. It's been happening for a while, so it wore away part of the polish on the crank and put a black mark on my shoes. That's another example of wasted energy due to equipment. I look forward to clipless pedals in the not-so-distant future.

Dist / Time / Avg / Max / Odo
37.59 / 1.15.26 / 29.9 / 48.7 / 1419.7
37.71 / 1.11.06 / 31.8 / 50.7 / 1457.6

No comments: