Friday, February 24, 2006

I was up really late last night, so getting up at 6:30a for the morning ride was rough. Had it been any other morning, I certainly wouldn't have gotten up. But my Friday wouldn't be complete without the "Muffin Ride." I met the crew as usual at the Java Shack. The weather was cold and windy.

We picked up several folks along the way and were clipping right along until disaster struck. I was chatting with Bill Cusmano and we took a break from that as he went up on the sidewalk to skirt by some traffic. It cleared fast enough for me, so I stayed in the road. But behind me I heard the sound of a crash and when I stopped and turned around Cusmano was laying on the ground in pain. A few of the guys checked him out and the initial un-educated prognosis was that he'd broke his collarbone. He seemed to be in quite a bit of pain, so he just chilled sitting on the ground until the ambulance came. The only damage done to the bike seemed to be the destroyed right shifter (Campy Record).

Once the medics took Bill away, Ken Woodrow took the extra bike to his house and the rest of us continued on the ride. We finished up fine, but it was a miserable ride. After we left Bill, we hit the river and the wind was brutal. There seemed to be no shelter as it whipped around in every direction blowing us across the bike path.


As for me, I managed fine on the ride. After yesterday's hard effort, my legs needed this recovery ride. The HR was nearly always in Zone 1 or below, so I think I did what I should have done. I'm not sure my legs are as fresh as they should be for riding the mileage out to the race and then racing. But hey, it's training and I'm still fooling around.

Dist / Time / Avg / Max / Avg HR / Odo / Zone 1
16.9 / 1:07:02 / 15.2 / 28.4 / 125 HR / 715 / 51:47

No comments: