Monday, June 05, 2006

I finally was up to commuting on a Monday. I can't remember the last time I did that. Of course, commuting on a Monday means that I have to carry the kitchen sink on my back. I got all my clothes and my lunch and my shoes and headed out the door not too long after 6:30. After yesterday's hammer-fest and Saturday's race, I was determined to actually take a rest day. I flicked the front derailleur to the left and left the chain sitting in the small ring. My pace never exceeded 20 mph and rarely exceeded 18 mph. I was chillin' and the lack of the usual headwind made this quite enjoyable. I took my time and relaxed. I hopped onto the back of another commuter at one point and rode for a few miles at a good clip, but drafting, my HR was still in the 130's.

Coming home, I didn't ride quite as slow, but I certainly didn't ride my usual pace. There were almost no serious riders headed in my direction, so I wasn't tempted to change from my plan. I did have a few stragglers pass me at lights, but it was fun to use them as bait--especially going up the hill at 66. That's the only significant effort that I put in today. From there it was back to easy riding. I took the short piece of the Custis Trail to connect up with Fairfax and then Wilson. I'm liking that commute path since it avoids some nasty parts of Wilson. But I can't wait till I move in to my new place on July 1st. I'll save fifteen minutes and avoid traffic entirely. Should be great.

No comments: