Thursday, June 08, 2006

After missing the past two days, I was determined to get some decent mileage in today. So I came home a bit early from work and got suited up and on the road as quickly as I could. I rode over to what will be my new place to drop off the security deposit and pick up a copy of the lease. From there, I rode what will be my roomate's commute up to Bethesda. It's a very nice ride, taking about 45 minutes to go on the Custis Trail and to the end of the paved section of the Capital Crescent Trail.

The ride out on the CC trail is false-flat to slight incline the whole way so you can really work up a sweat trying to hold the pace you might ride with ease on flat ground. I kept things steady but not really a hard effort. I was blowing by commuters though. Not having a backpack sure makes for more enjoyable riding. Once I reached the spot where I believe David will be commuting to, I kept going on the trail and hit the unpaved section hard. I had a blast, but only rode on it for about a mile. Good memories of Poolesville, but this section is much smoother than that course.

On the unpaved section I passed a RHD rider and an NCVC rider. So I turned around and followed them back towards DC. I got the pace cranking with the NCVC rider and once we were out of the heavily trafficed areas of the trail, we were flying. The RHD rider chose not to participate, so we were on our own for the rest of the ride back to Georgetown. Eventually, the NCVC rider dropped off or turned and so I chilled out a little bit to save my legs some. I had plans of going down to Hains after that, but it was 6:30, so I opted to go home for supper. I did ride along the Potomac for a bit on the Mt. Vernon trail before heading home on the usual trail outside Arlington Cemetery. For kicks, I rode a lap around the block of my apartment, taking one of the solid hills at full speed. Then, I called it a day. I got around 30 miles in, so that's not a bad day at all.

No comments: