Sunday, June 11, 2006

After yesterday's poor result in Sterling, I was in need of a soul-searcher. So after dropping Jess of at the airport, I hit the roads of Montgomery County mostly looking for the hills to inflict their pain on me. I rode the Saturday Ride route--which is very similar to the back half of the Coppi Sunday ride done backwards. I went out along MacArthur all the way to Old Anglers where I tackled the hill there leading up to Great Falls. I rode down into the park and back out to really get the heart pumping. From there I continued the usual route onto Falls Road and S. Glen Road. But then I took Glenn Mill all the way to its end at Darnestown Road. I turned around there and followed my way back, with another trip down into the park and out. I tried to focus on topping the hills well--something I always thought about running, but has just now occurred to me on the bike.

I was somewhat frustrated with my fitness early in the ride, but I rode very well after the second trip into the park and put in a good sprint exiting the park each time. At least I know that hill better if I ever show up for a Sunday ride with the team again. Most of my frustration had to do with my feel on the bike. I had quite a bit of lower back pain yesterday--the worst since I lowered my handlebars. I'm not sure if stretching can alleviate that problem, or if I'll have to raise them slightly. But yesterday and also the last race in PA, I had problems. My left cleat also worked itself loose again yesterday and it drove me crazy hearing them slip in the pedal while climbing hills. My rear wheel was also rubbing the brake when I pedaled with force probably because the spokes are too loose. I'll have to check that out.

I finished up the ride by having a little fun. I hung a left off of MacArthur onto Chain Bridge Road NW. This was a massive and surprisingly long hill. I couldn't believe its size as I felt like the climb would never end. It gave me the feel of climbing real mountains. From there I hit Nebraska to Mass. Ave. and rode past the embassies and finally on to M Street to take me through Georgetown and over the Key Bridge to home. The final mileage was somewhere around 55 miles. I'd wanted to go for more like 75, but my frustration with my feel on the bike kept me from heading down to Hains for a few more add on miles. All in all, a good day though. I got in a long ride with good hills and the pace was respectable for a solo effort. I'm looking forward to commuting more this week and also the workout on Wednesday. I'll be back to racing in PA next Saturday at the Pieffer Hill Road Race.

No comments: