Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The ride in the morning was chilly. Temperatures dropped to the mid forties overnight and so I had to don my thermal top and full-fingered gloves. I would have liked to have my leg warmers once I got out in it. I had to stop a few blocks away to adjust my HRM since it wasn't picking up my heart, but once everything was dialed in, I focused on keeping things nice and steady.

I started noticing a problem with my rear derailleur. When I was in the small chainring and smaller cogs in the back, the chain missed one of the pulleys when I applied pressure. This meant that the chain wasn't flowing nicely through the derailleur and it made the same sound it would if the shifting were out of sorts. I had no problems once I was in the large chainring, so I'm assuming this problem stems from the bent chain incident I had last week.

At lunch, I took apart the derailleur and tried to bend the inner cage plate straight. It was noticeably bent once I removed it from the derailleur body, so I did the best I could. It had both a bend and a slight twist. I focused on the bend and let the twist stay. The pulleys should now be in line close enough so that I don't get any more skipping.

No comments: