Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I've slowly been searching for my limits ever since I started bike racing and I've been consistently amazed at the things I've been able to do on a bike that would never be possible running. After Saturday's epic ride, Sunday's hammerfest on the hills, and Monday's thirty miles of tempo, I'm bushed. I definitely think that three days of severe punishment is where I start to crack. I was noticing it some already yesterday, but today it was obvious: my legs can't put out high end power right now. I simply can't turn as big a gear as I usually can. I am, however, totally fine cardiovasular-wise. My breathing isn't strained, my legs are just wiped.

I stopped just past the Courthouse on my way out this morning to change into my thermal top. The temperature was hovering around 50, and it was a bit chilly. I switched out my gloves as well. From there on, the ride was a bit of a struggle, but I mainly tried not to resist the slow pace, but instead do some spinning and give the legs a rest. I stayed in the small ring and settled in. The ride, of course, took a while, and wasn't terribly enjoyable going as slow as I was. But hey, I saved a lot of gas and got the miles in.

Coming home, I had a hard time taking it easy, even though my legs were definitely tired. I played a game with myself in the false flat of the Powerhouse stretch by keeping the pace above 20 mph for the entirety. I had to work pretty hard to do that, but I was able to. I stormed through Arlington and got home in probably the quickest rolling time I can remember.
Dist / Time / Avg / Max / Odo
23.6 / -- / 17.1 / 31.4 / 1368.3
23.62 / 1:12:16 / 19.6 / 33.1 / 1391.9

No comments: