Friday, April 21, 2006

I'm starting to get more and more heckling from the peanut gallery out on team rides because of my unshaven legs. For those who aren't aware, shaved legs is kind of the mark of a competitive cyclist. It's probably the easiest way to tell when I'm out on the trail which guys actually race.

From the research I've done, there are a few reasons why cyclists shave their legs:

  1. Aerodynamics. This is the worst reason in my opinion, but with carbon bottle cages and special cable housings, I can believe that every little bit makes a difference. It isn't, however, enough to get me to become part of the masses.
  2. Ease of Cleaning Road Rash. Now this makes sense in some ways. If you do crash and scrape yourself up, it would be easier to clean the wounds. But if you really got hurt, you'd probably end up shaving the area then anyways. So a good idea, but still no razor in my hand.
  3. Massages. I can definitely see why pro cyclists don't want hair on their legs if they're getting nightly massages during stage races. I know having a full set of hair on the legs would hurt once you start rubbing it back and forth. I used to get deep tissue massage on my calves and I can attest that it starts to wear on you. So far, that's the best reason and I have to think it's the cause of the tradition. Unfortunately, I'm not a pro and don't have soigneurs to rub me down after my rides, so again, I'm not convinced.
  4. It's part of the Uniform. This is the argument that James makes over and over and I must say it's the best of the four. Every single guy on my team (except me) it seems has shaved their legs. It does look more cool because everytime I see a racer without shaved legs, he usually sucks and has no idea what he's doing. This reason will probably be the one that breaks the camel's back . . . eventually. I mean, if everyone on the team wanted to shave their heads, I'd probably be leading that crusade. So, whatever.


What I'm most astounded by though, is that all these guys actually take the time to shave their legs once or twice EVERY week. I mean, I hate shaving my face and try to do that as little as possible without looking like a total slob at work. Taking the time to shave my legs just seems like such a pain in the butt. Combine that with Jess' fierce resistance to the idea and you have the cause for my hairy legs.

While I'll probably give in eventually--that is if people keep complaining, I'm having fun with it right now. I think it irks people to see someone doing well with hairy legs. So I want to win some bigger races just for kicks. Perhaps if I make Cat. 2, then I'll shave them. Or maybe just Cat. 3. I dunno.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

On leg shaving - The one thing that hit me more than anything is "Its tradition, its what cyclists do." This meant more to me, that people far better than me with years of experience we doing it long before I was born. Something of the history of it. tradition. Honestly once every 2 weeks if you aren't hairy, but get a Gillete Venus, its amazing.

Anonymous said...

Don't do it. Dumb reasons--all. jb

Anonymous said...

Just shave one to try it out!

I can personally attest that it makes it easier for the emergency room folks to clean out a wound and the dressings and tape don't stick to anything.

Reason 5 - if you feel fast, you are fast.

I'll bet "jb" shaves.

John said...

Haha, jb's my Dad. He most definitely does not shave his legs.

Anonymous said...

best reason -- the muscles in your legs show up more. Aerodynamics is not a reason. Peter is right, get a legit razor. The cheapo razors will tear you up. Also, use some electric clippers to take the long hair mostly off first.

Scott T.