Sunday, March 12, 2006

Today was supposed to be just an easy spin as a group after yesterday's "Epic" ride. Of course, with so many guys riding together, that's nearly impossible. The ride ended up hitting quite a few hills and my legs weren't quite as keen on them as they had been yesterday. I still climbed well though and worked mostly on my descents, trying to become as comfortable as I can going 40+ mph on a bike. I did very well on the descents I'd seen before and surprisingly well on those that I hadn't.

The group had a few splits from time to time, but we eventually made it back almost as a full group. The last climb back to the Acorn Inn was, of course, a race. Brad took off before we hit the incline and George, John, Kevin and a few others followed after him and passing me. I told 'em I'd catch them on the way up--and that's exactly what I did. Steve Robinson was the closest to me and I dangled 75 meters out in front of him the whole way up. This last climb hurt a lot to do it at speed. But hey, that's what happens when you race in practice!

I was disappointed we hadn't ridden the Jeff Cup course as planned, but I guess that means Jess and I will have to take a trip down to check out Monticello a day before the race. Brad and I pulled out of town not long after showering and loading up the car. I was really happy to be back home and sleeping in my own bed again, but sad to see the days filled with cycling coming to an end. I had a great time and learned a lot about riding my bike. We've got a great group of guys.
Dist / Time / Avg / Max / Odo
34.07 / 1:56:35 / 17.5 / 39.9 / 202.4

No comments: