Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Today I actually got out of bed rather quickly for the Hill Ride. I kitted up and set up my bike on the trainer. I rode that for about five minutes at a high rpm just to get my legs feeling fresher than they usually do at 6:30a. From there, I rolled over to the Java Shack to join up with the boys.

Cusmano was out for the first time since I've been riding hills and Brad was back. John Larson was also there for the first time on the same week as I. Other usuals were Jordan, Peter, and Jim. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone as this was probably the biggest hill ride we've had. Also joining us was NCVC rider Frederik Andersson. Butts was a no show at the Shack and we left without him.

Just before we reached Military Rd., John Larson starting gapping the rest of us and so I went to track him down. He said he was just trying to get his legs moving and not feeling sluggish. I can definitely attest to that feeling, but the trainer has cured me of that lately. After I caught Larson, we started to get going on the first interval at the base of the first climb on Military. That's pretty early and we were slowed by a great deal of traffic preventing us from crossing onto 31st. When the interval started, we were all together.

I took the lead from start to finish. But it was by far the most painful interval of the day. I got up the first hill in front and felt strong, but I was being chased closely by Brad. I threw in a few brief strong cranks, but nothing really shook up off my wheel. I was starting to sweat a little when my HR hit 195. I was just in front of Brad and we were nearing the end. I was finally able to get a small gap after standing and stomping away, but this was right at the finish of the interval. I was happy to finally reach the church parking lot.

The next two intervals, of course, are where I have the most trouble. Butts regularly takes me on these, but without his presence today, I wanted to be sure and win all four intervals. I had more company on this interval than any I can remember. I think we had a lot of quality riders out today and it showed. I started in the lead and pushing the pace by gapping the group. But they tracked me down before the real hills started and Peter went around me. John Larson did too and I latched on to his wheel. We passed everyone and I stuck to his wheel. From watching the Giro all week, I had visions of Basso following Sastre as he destroyed the peloton. I eventually went around Larson and that was all she wrote. Another solid effort.

The Muur interval has always been my nemesis, but without Butts or Bellora out for this one, I knew I should win it. Surprisingly that first long and steep hill on Vermont gave me some trouble. I was really working to get up that one and once we hit the false flat I was hurting like I should be in a workout. Frederik was the only one to follow my closely and I led him up to the Muur. I think I rode that stupid hill as slow as I ever had, but this being my home turf, I was able to keep Frederik behind me. Butts or Bellora would have dusted us both today.

On the final interval, I wasn't all that interested in a repeat of the first. I didn't want another long interval of pain, so I attacked the group from behind before we made the turn onto 31st. I got an enormous gap, probably b/c no one wanted to start the interval so soon, and it was free wheeling from there on. The first hill really took me a while to get up and I still managed to feel some burn, but Brad and Frederik were pretty far back and I was never challenged.

The cooldown was typical, with me chasing down a few folks for no reason. I chatted briefly with Butts as he showed up during our workout to do a slightly different hill workout of his own. I also chatted some with Matt Donahue, who I noticed had joined up with us about mid-workout. This was a good solid effort today, but it's going to take a lot more to snatch all four from Brian. We'll see.

3 comments:

Jim said...

The last interval was pretty steenking fast - when you passed me going up Military after the descent, it looked like you were shot out of a cannon. You are normally fast there but that was quite a bit faster than your usual effort, and the other guys commented. Whatever you did, keep doing it, it was more explosive than the way you usually sort of gradually wind up the spring. A jump like that might have some tactical utility...

For next week, I have a special tactical plan. It involves staying in contact with the pack, and not doing an extra climb up a couple other "V" streets while looking for Vermont Ave. Pretty novel, eh?

gwadzilla said...

I ride alone too much
you make me realize that my time would be more productive if I rode with others
racing the train in traffic can inspire me
but I need to go road riding with some friends
I think I need a friend to hurt me
I mean push me

Jim said...

Yep, it's more efficient with friends. Especially if they are faster than you.