Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I commuted to work today and felt better doing it than I have in some time. The morning was cold enough to wear full-fingered gloves, long sleeve jersey and even leg warmers. It was kinda nice to have a brisk morning. Not too many people were out riding and so I was mostly alone for the duration. I was happy that I was at least able to spend most of my time in the big ring. With the legs feeling the way they have the past two weeks, I've been relegated to the small ring enough.

Coming home, the weather had warmed up enough to shed all the cold weather gear. My legs still felt solid but I had to ride into a small headwind and so I never got the great feeling that I can get sometimes with the usual afternoon tailwind.

The only memorable thing was seeing the aftermath of a biker getting hit at Hernon Town Center crossing Elden St. There's not a light there and it can get to be a very busy intersection around five o'clock. They were carrying the cyclist away on a stretcher with a neck and head brace. He was wearing a helmet and I saw it sitting on the hood of the police car. I'm not certain if the rider was conscious or not. It was not a pretty sight.

A sight which was very surprising was seeing the driver of the car being handcuffed in front of me. He was Hispanic, and I'm not sure if he was being arrested for something he'd done in the accident or whether he was driving without a license or something like that. Lots of drama to start the ride, anyways.

The rest of the ride was without incident and pretty boring for anyone not actually on the bike with me. I had the pleasure of yo-yoing with a few other riders around the hill at 66 and I ended up passing them at random spots along the trail due to stop lights and other things. I finished off the ride by checking out what's likely to be my new apartment, just North of 66 where the Custis and W&OD trails meet up. If I end up there, I'm pretty excited about my proximity to the trail and the fifteen minutes I'll save in my commute. Good stuff.

No comments: