Monday, May 15, 2006

The rain this morning gave me a little more time to lay in bed, but stole my time to ride. I was able to get out for a ride when I got home from work and headed down to my usual spot at Hains Point. I was riding just a slow recovery pace when I latched on to a couple of MSR riders doing some kind of tempo workout. Turns out it was Garner Woodall and Tim Scesney, both strong riders. I sat behind them for a bit, but because there was a strong crosswind, I didn't gain much benefit.

After a few laps at 25 mph or so, we picked up none other than Brian Butts himself. He was actually wearing Coppi shorts. Kosta also joined on and from there we rode at a more relaxed pace of around 22 mph. As most rides at Hains go, we chatted and kept the pace nice and steady.

I left to get home by 7:30 and threw in a few sprints just to make good and sure my legs were really tired. They'll enjoy the commute tomorrow now that the weather's improving. I got in 27 miles of riding after work, so that's hard to beat in the amount of time I rode.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Nice. I do slow laps sometimes at Hains in the AM when I need some zone two miles mid-week. It's also a great place to do S&E intervals at that time. It's so flat that you can really tune your HR to within one or two beats of a target. Better than a good trainer.

The statue freaks me out a bit though. He's supposed to be "Man Waking Up" but looks more like John Brown's Body 'risin' From the Grave. I usually feel like that guy looks when we're on the hill ride, especially when you, Butts and Tomas decide to fill everybody's hurt buckets to overflowing.