Thursday, September 07, 2006

Today my legs were crappy--what else is new? I'm pretty sore on my right side from the crash, but it's not that big a deal. I rode fine. I'm back on the road bike for a bit. This is mainly to add speed to my commute, but I'm also planning to race twice more on the road before calling it a season. This weekend, I'll be in Wilmington, DE and the following weekend will be the district RR championships out in Poolesville, MD. Too bad there won't be any dirt involved this time.

Coming home, I was bored and wasn't all that thrilled about twenty more miles on crappy legs. So I decided to follow the advice of this article, and see if I could maintain a cadence of 105 rpm. That's a very fast spin considering I'm usually in the low to mid 80's. But I spun things up and shifted to keep the spin going accordingly. That usually meant lots of upshifting. A funny thing happened: I had fun! It was something different mostly, but I had something to pass the time with and it kept me from getting frustrated with my legs.

With the wedding, moving, and all of that this summer, I basically gave up on any assemblance of a training plan, and since starting back, I've mostly just hammered my way back to fitness. That's only partially worked and it's left me with consistently tired legs. Being sick didn't help matters and the crash yesterday was just piling on. But I'm much more optimistic about 'cross season. I plan to rest more. There, I said it: Rest.

No comments: