Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I really hate commuting on my 'cross bike. It just makes things frustrating because I can't stop and play in the dirt and it's real slow riding it on the pavement. But I do it anyway so that I can meet up at Lake Fairfax every now and then with Judd, Mel, et. al. to work on my skillz.

Today's workout was exactly the kind of workout I need. I made me feel totally inadequate as far as my cross skills go. I started working on my dismounts. I definitely want to be stepping through with my right leg rather than just dropping it behind my body. And I also want to unclip the left foot before reaching the barriers. That's tricky, but done correctly, it's faster and safer. Judd and Mel both have the dismount/remount down cold. It makes me look like the newbie that I am.

We also worked on some longer run-ups. I did quite well at those given my running background. But I wish I'd actually see one of those in a race. Around here, no one seems to like running. After that we did some climbing of steep hills, trying to simulate hills that are just barely rideable--getting used to going from a quick spin to a grind. Then we went up to the cricket field and rode a bit of leg tensioning/tempo around in the grass.

George was able to give me a ride home again, so I was able to stay for the duration and not have to worry about lights. Tomorrow, I'll be back out at the park for some more 'cross action. I just wish I wasn't commuting on the bike. Maybe I'll get a car soon?

Today, DennisBike, a.k.a. Dennis Smith, posted his shots of the B race on Sunday. As usual his work is stellar and we're lucky to have him working our races. So far he's the only one I've found with shots of the finish. They are quality:

No comments: