Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Back in the Commute Again

Yesterday, I rode for about ten minutes around my neighborhood just to get a feel for how the knee was progressing after two days off from commuting. It felt reasonably well, so this morning I was able to commute on the trail again. For the first ten minutes, I was more worried than I'd been on the previous ride. The knee was stiff and it was cold out, so I actually thought about turning around. But I kept on at a slow pace and eventually it loosened up and began to feel much better. The remainder of the AM ride was nice and smooth with no sign of pain.

I popped another pill at lunch when my knee was tightening up from sitting at my desk. That seemed to help and by the time I was riding home early for church it felt great again. When I ran into Bill Gros in the middle of intervals, I was able to draft off of him for a short time and test the knee under some pressure. It was fine and several times on the way home I upped the pace some to further test it. Hammering the hill over 66 was easy enough and the legs definitely felt fresh.

Now the task shifts to maintaining this feeling and focusing on the Saturday/Sunday race set. Kirkwood is my chance for points and if I'm healthy after that, Jeff Cup will be more about showing the Haymarket colors and being a part of the scene in a stacked 1/2/3 field. I'm looking forward to it and getting stronger every day.

No comments: