Friday, March 14, 2008

The 2008 Season Begins . . .

On the eve of my first race of the 2008 campaign, I figured it was about time to get something up on the web. There have been a few changes since I last wrote and raced. Most notably, I transferred to the Haymarket Bicycles Racing Team presented by Function Drinks. I made the change not long after the 'cross season ended as I was beginning to plan for this season on the road. I made the change primarily so that I would push myself to make Category 2 and, by eventually doing that, stay focused during the road season in order to be better prepared for cyclocross.

Last year at this time, there was a lot going on. Jess had just come back from Pittsburgh and I had been riding nearly every day in the frigid weather. I was in pretty great shape, but also beginning to feel the effects of burn out. By the time we took a vacation in Luray and spent some time hiking in Shenandoah, I was completely disinterested in riding my bike. I got sick in the days before Jeff. Cup and that was about all she wrote for my season. I raced Walkersville and finished with the 1/2/3 pack, then raced Poolesville to defend my title and finished in the pack of the 3 race. I shut it down after that and did other things before jumping in a few late season crits and getting absolutely embarrassed by all the guys chasing BAR points late in the year. I took that embarrassment very personal and set myself up on a plan to make certain that I had a good season in my true love: 'cross. I followed the plan almost religiously and the results of that plan are in my last post.

So this year, I am more determined to have a good road season than I've been since I started cycling. I've laid out a plan similar to that for cyclocross and my hope is that even though the season is longer, I can follow that equally as well and hopefully get some results. Moving over to Haymarket makes my quest for Category 2 status worthwhile. They are a small, but solid group of serious racing cyclists and I have no doubt that I will enjoy the road season much better if I'm focused on racing.

That brings me to now, the eve of racing. I've now done five weeks of base after taking nearly ten weeks off of the bike (two in Italy). There's a long way to go before I feel in great shape, but I'm happy with the direction I'm headed and my motivation is already far higher than it was at any point before Charm City last year. The race tomorrow is nicely juxtaposed with a family event the next day, so I'll have a chance to see what my legs can do outside of the MABRA scene. And not only that, it's my first chance ever to do a race (running or cycling) in my hometown.

Let the chase for points begin and may I enjoy every moment of it!

No comments: