Saturday, October 06, 2007

My race was after the Master's and I got in a solid warmup riding on the roads outside the park grounds. I did fifteen minutes of aerobic riding followed by some stretching and then some LT efforts and a final lap of the course. I was ready to go and I was even able to scrum for a front row start, shoving my way between the few call-ups.

From the gun, this race was a total and complete surprise to me. I clipped in immediately and started the way I'd done on Friday doing openers with George. I hammered to the front and was a bit taken aback with how easily I took the holeshot. It was so easy that I had to look back and wonder if perhaps I was going a bit too hard. Before we hit the first turn at the end of the building, I decided that I'd better keep the lead and see what I could do with it. I figured if I led up the small hillock and up the mountain, I'd probably be all set to lead the entire first lap. I did just that, electing to run the mountain and riding the off-camber coming out of the hilltop fairly well. I had a crew of riders right behind me and I was defintitely feeling the effects of setting the early pace. Last year at IC Lite, I'd taken a similar start of setting the early tempo, but the difference here was that I don't yet have confidence in my fitness. I'm only a few weeks removed from being pulled from crits.


But there I was, leading the race. As soon as we hit the asphalt coming out of the woods by the start line and returning towards the finish, I elected to let one of the followers lead us into the wind. I wasn't brazen enough to push the pace for too long. I followed close behind the new leader and I realized that I was terrified of getting gapped. I didn't have the confidence to follow the lead and feel comfortable, so I went back to the front and led most of the lap again. I repeated the switch off on the asphalt with a different leader, but this time I dove into the corner coming off the asphalt and went back to the lead as soon as we hit the grass. From there, the race was truly on.

I ran the mountain the first two times, but on the third I decided to start riding it. I was followed in hot pursuit by Andrew Grabarek of Keltic Construction. He followed my every move and somehow we managed to commandeer the lead and create a large gap between ourselves and the rest of the riders. I remember hearing the announcer comment on us switching off the lead one time through the asphalt and also hearing Mel yell to me that, "You've got a gap, keep it going."


With just over two laps to go, disaster struck for Grabarek. Coming into the barriers, I led and as soon as I crossed them, I heard him go down. I glanced back only to see him lying on the ground with his bike. I wasted no time in attacking all out to put time into him. As I was heading into the singletrack woods section before the start line, I noticed that he wasn't getting up and that the race was mine to lose. When I came through the start line I had two laps to go and I had to focus on keeping the lead as best I could. I had Jess giving me the gap back to the next group of riders and it was 30 seconds. It dipped down to 25 at some point during the penultimate lap, but I wasn't worried. I kept riding my race and focusing on keeping a solid pace in the flats and staying alert through the technical terrain.


Jess said later that she didn't know when I was on my last lap and that she started to get worried when the gap began to drop some. But I had things under control by then and I was merely trying to avoid pinch flatting on some on the rocky gully and a few of the exposed roots and cut trees. I kept the pace under control and as soon as I hit the asphalt the final time, I gave it full gas to ensure the victory. The second place rider ended up thirteen seconds back according to the results. That was a bit closer than I'd intended to let him get, but comfortable enough.


It's odd to get a win like this so early into a season in which I entered with no real fitness to speak of. Winning at Charm City last season was a big surprise, but I knew I was on top form coming in to that. It's an even bigger surprise to take the win by such an easy margin. I've never won a 'cross race before the final sprint. I was definitely aided by the crash behind me and the field wasn't the best I'll see. But a win is a win and I beat some good riders. With myself considering this course to be fairly technical, I'm extremely pleased to come out on top. It's a nice gift to keep the motivation high as I enter a weekend off from racing before the MAC season begins.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Congrats!

Nice win and excellent report.

I'll see you at Grrrranogue!

Chris