Saturday, October 06, 2007

It was great to have showers on site and I took full advantage. My legs were filthy and I was exhausted from the effort. I cleaned up, donned my new Vervecken hat and headed back to the car. On the way out, I saw Mr. Rainbow Stripes for the first time. He was hanging with his supporters and his mechanic/Dad. I didn't want to bother him since it seemed like he was getting plenty of attention and was about to start warming up on the course. But he noticed me hat and called out, "Where'd you get the cap?" I pointed to his boys and he chuckled at that. I seized the opportunity to get a shot with the giant and he was more than happy to oblige. I'm glad Jess was hanging close with the camera and I couldn't be more happy with how it turned out. I'm now firmly in the Vervecken camp. The dude was shockingly approachable and good spirited.


And if that wasn't enough, we'd parked next to Ryan Trebon, the US National Champion and his parter in crime, Barry Wicks. They were unloading their rental minivan and pulling out more carbon than a DC Velo Sunday ride. Dugasts, FSA Carbon wheels, sweet Kore brakes and the biggest freakin' orange frames around. George, conversationalist extraordinaire, struck up a conversation with them and we chatted for a bit. Very cool. Trebon showed me the new clearance for the chainrings on the 2008 Konas and remarked that he missed his Spooky brakes, but that the Kore ones were working great. He mentioned that he is leaving for Belgium on Monday and coming back for Natz, the USGP in Louisville and Portland. Wicks will be stepping it up to take that series in his absence.


The Elite Women's race was rather boring. We got to see Katie Compton absolutely destroy the field and any hope of real competition up front was dashed when Lyne Bessette had a chain failure.

The Elite Men's race, however, did NOT disappoint. The start was incredible. They were a true thundering herd coming towards us all and as soon as they touched grass, the dust was flying everywhere. Trebon had the holeshot and was closely followed by Erwin . . .

To be continued when I have some more free time. Plenty more pictures and race summaries to come.

Bikes:

No comments: