Saturday, July 29, 2006

Tour de Toona Stage 2

Today was pretty incredible. I was chomping at the bit to get my first real taste of a race with a mountain climb. I was disappointed we wouldn't be riding the Cat. 3 route of 70+ miles and with the climb to the top of Blue Knob Ski Resort, but we would have our climb nonetheless.

The race started off pretty much like any race and the pace was pretty slow. I think folks were very apprehensive of the climbing ahead and no one wanted to waste an ounce of energy--well no one except me. I made my way to the front at the base of the climb and was never worse than fourth all the way to the top.

I played some with the pace but never really attacked. Mostly I just upped the pace to get everyone moving and let others take over from my setup. About half way up, I started to feel the burn pretty bad in my legs. This wasn't a steep climb, but really a long and gradual one that had me spinning in the 21 cog and eventually in the 23 cog. That's all I had and Tomas said if I needed any bigger than 23, I wouldn't be on the front. He was right, but I there were a few brief sections of tired legs where I might have used a 25. That said, I'm glad I didn't have it!

With probably a half mile to go to the KOM, a pretty big sprinter looking guy put in an attack. I didn't know what to make of it and as close as we were I don't think anyone thought he should be given much reign. We jumped on him quick and that's where the fireworks started. When we got to within 200m, a guy from the Altoona club went for it really hard. I was dying at that point and figured he had the KOM sealed up, but something made me think again.

For whatever reason, I started sprinting even though he was at least four bike lengths ahead. I went into Wednesday Hill Ride mode and attacked him like he was Tomas or Butts. I ate him up faster than I thought possible and I soon found myself in the lead with lots of spectators going mad. I wanted to die, but I kept charging and looking for the KOM line. The sign was covered up by fans, so I didn't see the thin red line until the last second as I was about to cross it. I crossed it and thought to myself, "Oh thank God."

Well, that attack burnt about every one of my matches. I was pedaling so slow just trying to keep moving. The next two guys over the KOM were the Toona guy and Hessel of HVB. The Toona rider and myself were hurting and Hessel eventually past us. Several more passed and one was George. I pleaded with him to wait on me so that I might sit in and recover, but he said later, "I didn't hear you."

Then the pack came and probably twenty guys were with us. Tomas was there as were the Harley guys. We tried to move up to George but the gap wouldn't come down. I started to feel pretty good and going into the descent, I thought I was ok. Unfortunately, I was at the very back of that pack and a gap opened up. I wasn't braking and I was actually pedaling pretty hard, but that gap got bigger and bigger until I was dropped.

I picked up with several others and we worked together till the finish, but it was not to be. I finished in 25th and any hopes of doing something on GC went up in smoke. But George had other ideas about GC and amazingly he took the stage win!! That meant that he was in a three way tie for first with Steve Fife and the previous Stage winner. Since he won the RR stage that gave him the yellow!


It was awesome. Toona really is just like a fantasy camp. We got jerseys, had a podium presentation, and were cheered like heroes. Truly something special to have such a great team. We were feeling pretty good about ourselves and hearing Coppi over and over from the announcer was very cool.

Check out all of Jess' photos from Stage 2 here.

No comments: