Tuesday, August 23, 2005



Well, here goes . . . my first entry on this, the return of my training log. I'm a duathlete now it seems, so there will be lots of cycling to report and lots of gear too. I continue to bike to work everyday, which is about 38km both ways. That puts me on the bike for about three hours each day with all the stops.

I did finally pick up a couple dri-fit shirts today at Target. So no more riding in cotton t-shirts. One is tight fitting ala Under-Armour and the other is more like a traditional t-shirt. I figure the tight fitting one will be somewhat of an aero advantage.

I don't have stats for this morning's ride, but it was pretty typical. I felt a bit slow as I have lately because of all the problems I'm having with my rear hub. The bearings have gone bad and my cones are too tight. This is causing me to have to exert more energy than I should have to. I attmepted to get a new wheel at lunch, but Murphy ruled and the key I use to unlock my wheel broke! Instead, my coworkers and I spent time at Lowes attempting to find a pin that would subsitute. Alas, my efforts getting that pin down to size with a hacksaw weren't quite good enough. The groove you see in the photo is all I have to show.



My ride home was fast again for the second day in a row, despite the hub problems. I felt good on a lot of stretches, but not great on the hills. I stopped at Pacers, a running store on Wilson Blvd. in Arlington to look at racing flats. I didn't see anything I loved and decided to forgo the additional $100 they would have cost. When I did make it home, after locating my running shorts, I laced up my brand new pair of Adidas Supernova Controls and went for a run.

I ran up Wilson away from the District to catch Jess coming home from her piano lesson. We met up just in front of Pacers and she rode alongside me as I ran back home. The total run was only thirteen minutes or so--barely good enough for two miles, but that's the first running mileage I've done in about a month. I really need to take it easy this week, but the bet (more on that later) keeps me getting back in the saddle everyday.

Dist / Time / Avg / Max / Odo
37.28 / 1.13.27 / 30.4 / 49.7 / 938.7

No comments: