Monday, August 29, 2005

For some reason I had a lot of trouble getting my seat set correctly this morning. I stopped a few times to get it right, but never really felt comfortable. I was comfortable with the increase in speed that I'm feeling due to the new wheelset, however. The computer doesn't usually lie and the average of 30 kmph seems to suggest that my old hubs were costing me at least 2 kmph.

The big news from this ride in though was my flat tire going up the hill at Hwy. 66. As soon as I heard it pop, my heart sank. The same sound I heard on Sunday was not a welcome addition to my morning commute. I found the hole and it looked identical to the one I had yesterday--a small pin hole in the middle on the outside of the rear tube. It seems like I may have something in my tube that I can't find because yet again I was unable to feel or spot anything that would suggest it was causing a flat. I patched the tube, but made a bonehead mistake in putting the tube back inside the tire. I pumped it up not noticing a spot where the tire hadn't seated properly and when I reached a good pressure, the tube exploded. That's the second time I've done that and I can say that both times have been startling. The sound is just like a gunshot. Luckily, I had a spare tube with me this morning and so I correctly installed it and was on my way--hoping not to get another flat.

I stayed a bit late at work today to tighten the spokes on my front wheel. It was really simple to do. I tightened each nipple a half turn and checked the adjustment with the office truing stand. No extra adjustment was needed. I decided to ride home with Pat and he guaranteed a slow ride. That allowed me to recover a bit. Unfortunately, with the way I ride and run, that's usually what it takes to get me to recover. We only picked up the pace on a few of the downhill sections and mostly just relaxed. The pace was a bit higher than he usually rides, I believe, and near the end of the ride I had to wait a few times. I can definitely understand now how being light helps climb hills.

Pat showed me his stash of bikes he has out in the garage. Recumbents, electrics, a tandem, and old road bikes. I think Jess and I will have to take out that tandem and get it tuned up sometime soon. I'm sure there'll be plenty of laughs to have when we try that one. I rode the rest of the way home at a subdued pace, only really hammering the final quarter mile to Courthouse. It was late when I finally made it home so it was just pizza and a movie rather than the usual Monday night ultimate.

Dist / Time / Avg / Max / Odo
37.86 / 1.15.49 / 30.0 / 45.3 / 1145.2
38.27 / 1.27.37 / 26.2 / 50.3 / 1186.0

No comments: